Just a quick heads up, we are bringing film distribution legend Jon Reiss back to the UK to run his two day 21st Century Distribution Masterclass. If you are making a film this year or have just completed one, this workshop is essential. You will learn loads of new ideas and strategies from the guy who has done it himself and written the best selling book on it, Think Outside The Box Office. (and all delegates get a free copy of his book!
Do you want to know how to distribute your film in 2012? How to make the most of all you hard work? How to keep control AND the money your film makes?
When: June 23rd and 24th
Where: London School of Film, Media & Performance at Regent’s College
How Much: £79 early bird, £139 thereafter.
Taught by critically acclaimed filmmaker and author Jon Reiss, the Think Outside the Box Office (TOTBO) 2 Day Master Class gives participants the knowledge and tools they need to create a distribution and marketing path for their films. This course is recommended not only for filmmakers who have finished films, but especially those who are in the early stages of a film project or who want to have a clear understanding of the radically changing landscape for distributing and marketing films.
Jon Reiss’ approach is a practical, step by step guide to create a unique distribution and marketing strategy for your film. During the master class participants will learn:
- Audience Identification
- Ways to connect with and build an audience for your work.
- Social media, organizational partnership and crowdfunding essentials.
- How to create a robust Live Event/Theatrical release that will connect with audiences.
- How to create merchandise that audiences will want to buy.
- A new approach to conceptualizing digital rights and their monetization.
- How to coordinate the timing of their various rights and marketing strategies.
- The importance of integrating this work as early as possible into the filmmaking process.
- How to integrate the exciting new world of transmedia into their work and release.
- What is a Producer of Marketing and Distribution and how they can help you.
The master class culminates in live workshopping several of the attendees selected projects so that the entire audience can see the principals put into practice with their own films.
This is your chance to have YOUR project worked on by Jon.
Get the book FREE!
Every delegate of the Distribution Masterclass will get a free digital copy of Jon’s book, ‘Think Outside The Box Office’. You can load it onto your phone, iPad, computer or print it out and bring it along – I am sure Jon will sign it for you! The book is 364 pages of crammed tips, tricks and strategies that will open your mind to a world of possibilities for your film. Best of all, as soon as you sign up, we will send you the book!
Friday 22nd June (evening – optional)
We will kick off the Distribution Masterclass with an added bonus Friday night seminar and networking session – it’s a chance to collect your pass early and to start mingling with potential collaborators.
Saturday 23rd June
10-10:15 Where We Are At – Why a New Model is Needed
- The Old World – One Size Does Not Fit All
- The Overall Deal and What is Wrong With It
- The New World – Each Film is Unique and Needs a Unique Plan
10:15-11:15 Creating a Plan for your Film
- Goals for your film
- Evaluation of your film
- The Totbo 4 Step Approach to Audience Engagement
- Indentifying Niche Audiences
- Your resources – The New 50/50
- Team members – The PMD Producer of Marketing and Distribution
11:15 – 12:30 Marketing Part 1: Engaging Your Audience from Inception
- Why Marketing?
- Positioning and Branding: Who are you in the media landscape?
- The Rise of the Artist Entrepreneur
- What Value do You Provide Your Audience?
- Partner Organizations & DIFY
- Introduction to social media
- Creating a Dynamic Website
- Blogging basics
- Email lists and Email Marketing
- Email/Like/Tweet for Media – The Need for Assets
- Crowdfunding Basics
12:30-1:30 Networking Lunch
1:30 – 1:45 An Introduction to Film “Products”
1:45-2:45 Redefining the Theatrical Experience – Live Events
- Old theatrical categories.
- The New Model – Expanding the concept of the theatrical experience.
- Using Unique Qualities to Create Events
- Simulcasts and Limiting Time in Creating Events
- Emerging Channels for Booking Live Event/Theatrical
- Community Theatrical and Your Website
3:00 – 4:00pm DVD Distribution and Merchandise
- Thinking Outside the Merchandise Box – Beyond the DVD
- DVD Distribution: DIY or Traditional? Both.
- Working with a Distribution Company
- How to set up your own fulfillment.
4:00-5:30 Questions and Discussion
6.30 till late Networking on site at the Regents College bar.Find new partners for your project and mingle with producers, directors, actors, PMDs, marketeers…
Sunday 24th June
10:00-10:45The New Digital Rights Landscape
- Television and Cable VOD
- Internet Rights – ETS, aVOD, iVOD, sVOD
- Aggregators/Distributors – what are they and how they can help.
- Setting up your own digital distribution.
- Monetizing piracy.
10:45- 11:30 Marketing Part 2 Timing Your Release
- Factors in Choosing a Premiere Date
- Release Patterns and Windows
- Length of Release
11:45–12:45 Avenues of Marketing and Promotion in Release
- Various types of publicity and timing publicity
- Viral Media
- Media Buys – Are they worth it?
- Affiliate Marketing
- Marketing and Publicity Materials
- Orienting Your Website for Sales
1:45-2:30 Expanding the Concept of Film – Cross Platform/Transmedia Entertainment
- What is transmedia – and why should you be excited about it.
- The Story Universe.
- Making It Work For You.
2:30 – 4:00 Workshop Four Projects in front of the Audience
‘More than an education. It’s a revelation.’
Edmund Fargher, Filmmaker
‘hits the nail on the head when it comes to the importance of marketing and distribution for independent film’
John Donkin, Sales Agent: Acquisitions and Marketing
‘Practical advice based on case studies, innovative social network engagement, outside the box thinking – fantastic!’
Ruth O’Donnell, Writer/ Director
‘Full of information. Very dense, very good, very savvy.’
Simon Davison, Director/ Writer
‘It has changed the way I think about the film making process.’
Jules Rampton, Filmmaker
‘If you want to distribute a film, this course is a must. I have never learned more about film distribution and marketing.’
Larry Cowen, Filmmaker
‘delivered much more than it promised, with a thorough and detailed distillation of marketing knowledge, experience, key skills and top tips… I feel privileged to be ahead of the curve.’
Oli Lewington, Filmmaker
Onwards and upwards!