At the London Screenwriters Festival each year we run a legal clinic with lawyer Julian Wilkins. A number of questions get asked repeatedly, so we thought we would ask Julian these questions and record as a podcast you can listen here.
The most common legal questions are…
- I have a great idea for a story – what can I do, if anything, to protect my idea?
- What is an Option and how does it operate in practice?
- Should I get independent advice about any Option with a Producer or Production Company?
- What are the pitfalls about writing a script based upon a real event or person?
- What are the legal pitfalls of co-writing?
Onwards and upwards!